Growing up, my sweet Momma made homemade bolognese and spaghetti for dinner almost every Monday night. I try to do the same, but if I’m being honest, most Monday nights I’m reaching for marinara in a jar. And I am decidedly feeling no shame in my game!
This Baked Penne dish comes together quickly, and you’ve probably got most of these ingredients sitting in your cupboard. It calls for minimal ingredients preparation, which frees me up to spend time with my kids or enjoy a cold one on the porch instead of sweating it away in front of the stove after working all day.
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 24-oz. jars marinara sauce
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- In a large pot, cook penne pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat and season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once cooked through, add sour cream and stir to combine. Lower heat to low and add one jar of marinara sauce to the beef and sour cream, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Once penne pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and place back into the large pot. Add marinara mixture and stir to combine.
- Next, layer half of pasta, 6 slices of provolone, and half of marinara in baking dish. Repeat layering one more time and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Allow to stand for at least five minutes before serving. Enjoy!